Resources for Pregnant and Parenting Students

Resources for Pregnant and Parenting Students

The University of Chicago does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, on the basis of any protected status – including pregnancy, childbirth, or related conditions, or on the basis of parental status.

Students may take a leave of absence for pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition. The University will reinstate the student to the status they held prior to the leave.

Students who wish to take a leave of absence should contact their area dean of students.

There are resources available at the University of Chicago for pregnant or parenting students, including the following:

  • Area Dean of Students – Area Dean of Students should always be one of the first stops as students navigate the wide variety of offices and programs across the University. Students who may need to take a leave of absence related to pregnancy, childbirth, or parenting should first contact their Dean of Students.

For more information about academic support available for graduate student parents, please see the Graduate Student Parent Policy.

  • Family Resource Center (FRC); 950 E. 61st Street; 773.795.5437 – The FRC is a welcoming space where families from the University community can access resources, information, and supportive programming and services.
  • UChicagoGRAD; 970 E. 58th Street, 3rd Floor; 773.834.7926 –  UChicagoGRAD is committed to ensuring that students and postdocs have the skills they need to become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
  • Student Disability Services (SDS); 5501 S. Ellis Avenue; 773.702.6000; – While pregnancy itself is not a disability, students may contact SDS to request reasonable accommodations for medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth.
  • Equal Opportunity Programs (EOP); 5525 S. Ellis Ave; 773.834.6367; – Equal Opportunity Programs investigates and addresses complaints of discrimination on the basis of pregnancy or any other protected status, and offers on- and off-campus support.

To request a reasonable accommodation, please complete the form found here for review by a staff member within Equal Opportunity Programs.