Office for Access and Equity
Office for Access and Equity
The Office for Access and Equity supports the University of Chicago’s commitment to research, academic excellence, and the pursuit and cultivation of learning by working to prevent, correct, and address instances of unlawful discrimination and by providing consultation on supporting access for individuals with disabilities in our campus community. Find out more about us and the other programmatic offices in the Office of the Provost’s Equal Opportunity Programs, by visiting “Contact Us” page or the pages for the Office for Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Support or Office for Affirmative Action, or subscribe to our newsletter.
The Office for Access and Equity works to:
- Receive reports and investigate allegations of unlawful discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct made against faculty, other academic appointees, postdoctoral researchers, and staff (in partnership with Employee and Labor Relations) under the University’s Policy on Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct (“Policy”)
- Provide information on support and resources
- Consult with individuals, departments and divisions across campus on the Policy and providing access to individuals with disabilities
- Coordinate with campus partners on institution-wide access initiatives
- Engage in the interactive process with faculty, other academic appointees, and postdoctoral researchers with disabilities requesting a reasonable accommodation
- Present training on the University’s Policy and access
This summary of the work that we do is not exhaustive. In addition, we understand that each person’s situation may be unique and there is no one-sized fits all approach to your needs. The Office for Access and Equity works with other programmatic offices within the Office of the Provost’s Equal Opportunity Programs – the Office of Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Support and the Office of Affirmative Action – on a variety of issues. We encourage you to contact us with any questions you may have.
In keeping with its long-standing traditions and policies, the University of Chicago considers students, employees, applicants for admission or employment, and those seeking access to University programs on the basis of individual merit. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law (including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972). For additional information regarding the University of Chicago’s Policy on Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct, please see: http://harassmentpolicy.uchicago.edu/page/policy.
The University official responsible for coordinating compliance with this Notice of Nondiscrimination is Bridget Collier, Associate Provost for Equal Opportunity Programs. Ms. Collier also serves as the University’s Title IX Coordinator, Affirmative Action Officer, and Section 504/ADA Coordinator. You may contact Ms. Collier by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling 773.702.5671, or by writing to Bridget Collier, Office of the Provost, The University of Chicago, 5525 S. Ellis Ave., Suite B, Chicago, IL 60637.